Better late than never! We’re gearing up for the rain-delayed but much anticipated Spring Thaw Trail Series finale at Fountainhead. Below you will find all the race-day information you’ll need. Please be sure to like us on Facebook. We post the most up-to-date information there.
Registration and packet pickup will be located at the top corner of the parking lot next to the hiking trail head. Look for the Rev3 Adventure tent. The Bike Lane will be set up nearby, too, for any technical bike needs from 10:00-11:30 am.
We offer online registration until Friday at 5 pm and race-day registration the morning of the race. On race day, we can take cash, check, and credit cards. It is $50 to sign up on race day.
• 8:30 am: Packet pickup opens
• 8:30 am-9:45am: Pre run/ride (Optional; must be wearing your bib and off the course by 10am)
• 9:55 am: Trail runners: Pre-race brief for the 5K and 10K (Start line)
• 10:00 am: Race start for 5K and 10K
• 11:00 am: 5K awards
• 12:00 pm: 10K and Trail Run series awards
• 12:25 pm: Mountain bikers: Pre-race brief for Young Warriors, Newbies, Weekend Warriors, and Trail Experts (Start line)
• 12:30 pm: Race start for Weekend Warriors and Trail Experts
• 12:35 pm: Race start for Young Warrior & Newbies
• 2:00 pm: MTB Awards and Crowing of the Trail Masters
Please make sure you arrive at least 40 minutes before your race starts so that you have time to park and get your race packet.
Before you race you will need to pick up your bib number and timing chip. At packet pickup:
1. Complete the Rev3 Adventure waiver (You can save time by printing, completing and bringing the waiver with you)
2. Find your bib number on the printout at the registration area.
3. Pick up your race packet from the registration tent.
4. Pick up your T-shirt. (If you are signed up with the discounted three- or six-race option, you will only get one T-shirt for the series.)
5. Get ready to race!
For the 5K and 10K please attach the bib to your front so that it can be clearly seen. Bikers, attach the bib to your handlebars. Your timing chip is attached to the back of your bib number. Timing chips are disposable, so feel free to keep it as a memento or toss it in the trash. All awards are based off gun time. If you are doing the run and the bike, you will get a separate bib and chip for each event.
All the trails at Fountainhead are considered technical. The 5K and 10K runs will be on trails that have roots, rocks, steep inclines, and descents. The mountain bike course will follow the Green and Blue loops. The run course is heavily marked. The mountain bike course is lightly marked with heavy marking at intersections. Come prepared.
• 5K and 10K will run on the right side of the park and will use the blue and white trails
• Trail run course map can be found here
• Young Warriors – Green loop (3 miles)
• Newbies – One lap (Green and Blue Loops, 6 miles)
• Weekend Warriors – Two laps (Green and Blue Loops, 12 miles)
• Trail Experts - Three laps (Green and Blue Loops, 18 miles)
Technical Trail Features will not be included in the course.
The new Shockabilly trail will be used.
The race will start with a prologue out and back along the main entrance road to the park.
You can see the course map here.
There will be water and Gatorade on the course.
For the Spring Thaw 5K and 10K trail run, you will need a pair of running shoes and your normal running attire.
For the Young Warrior, Newbie, Weekend Warrior, and Trail Expert Mountain Bikes Races you’ll need a bike and a helmet (CPSC, ANSI, or SNELL certified). A water bottle or CamelBak-type device is highly recommended.
A new one for us…we will be serving pizza from 11 am until 2:30 pm. Bottled water and soda will be available.
Parking and Directions
10875 Hampton Rd, Fairfax Station, VA (703) 250-9124
Please park in the trailhead parking lot. If this becomes full, we will have you park on grass areas. Please follow parking directions when you arrive. Parking is always a premium at Fountainhead, so if you can carpool, please carpool.
If you are bringing friends and family and they would like to help in any way, we would love to put them to work. We are always looking for people to help marshal the course and run aid stations. Volunteers are very much appreciated by all—organizers and racers alike. To show our gratitude, Rev3 Adventure will give all volunteers an event T-shirt and a $20 code toward any of our other races in 2015. Volunteers can sign up here. Staff and racers will be super grateful!
Thanks again for choosing Rev3 Adventure. We look forward to seeing you on race day.