Spring Thaw at the Greens Race Info!
For those of you racing in this Saturday’s Spring Thaw Trail Series at the Greens, below you will find all the race-day information. Please be sure to like us on Facebook. We post the most up-to-date information there.
The course is slightly technical and falls somewhere between the Grant and Fountainhead at difficulty level.
Check in/registration and the start/finish line are in the field adjacent to the gravel trailhead. Just head into the gravel parking area and then cut left up the trail and through the hedge row.
We offer online registration and race-day registration. We can take cash, check, and credit cards.
Changing Event Dates and Categories
If you would like to switch to a different date, category, or distance or transfer your entry to someone else, you can log into your Active.com account, where we have enabled the option to do this. There will be no refunds to switch to a shorter-distance event. There is a $2 transfer fee to change events. Transfers can be made up until race day.
On Wednesday, April 8 we will host a pre-run/ride of the course at the Greens from 5 pm to 7 pm. Please do not access these private trails outside of these times. Check in with a Rev3 Adventure representative before riding or running. We will be stationed at the trailhead (see Map). The trails will be lightly marked. See below for driving directions, and keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates. If the trails are too wet, we may not be able to ride. We will post the status of the pre-run/ride on Wednesday by noon.
Parking and Directions (Pre-Ride/Run and Race Day)
Don’t forget this is at a different location than the Willowsford race in early April. We will have a Rev3 Adventure flag on Braddock Road. When you turn on to Grassland Grove Drive, drive to the end and find a parking space along the side of the road. Please stay on the blacktop; the road is wide enough to park on either side.
The start and finish area is located at the end of Grassland Grove Drive. GPS address is 41025 Willowsford Ln, Aldie, VA, then follow Grassland Grove Drive all the way to the end and park alongside the road. Location is on Google maps here.
• 8:30 am: Packet pickup opens
• 8:30 am-9:45am: Pre run/ride (Must be off the course by 10am)
• 9:55 am: Trail runners: Pre-race brief for the 5K and 10K (Start line)
• 10:00 am: Race start for 5K and 10K
• 11:00 am: 5K awards
• 12:00 pm: 10K and Trail Run series Awards
• 12:25 pm: Mountain bikers: Pre-race brief for Young Warriors, Newbies, Weekend Warriors, and Trail Experts (Start line)
• 12:30 pm: Race start for Weekend Warriors and Trail Experts
• 12:35 pm: Race start for Young Warrior & Newbies
• 2:00 pm: MTB Awards
Please make sure you arrive at least 40 minutes before your race starts so that you have time to park and get your race packet.
Race-Day Packet Pickup
Before you race you will need to pick up your bib number and timing chip. At packet pickup:
1. Complete the Rev3 Adventure waiver and the Willowsford waiver (You can save time by printing, completing, and bringing the waiver with you, or you may have already signed them online at registration.)
2. Find your bib number on the printout at the registration area.
3. Pick up your race packet from the registration tent.
4. Pick up your T-shirt. (If you are signed up with the discounted three- or six-race option, you will only get one T-shirt for the series.)
5. Get ready to race.
Runners, please attach the bib to your front so that it can be clearly seen. Bik
ers, attach the bib to your handlebars. Your timing chip is attached to the back of your bib number. Timing chips are disposable, so feel free to keep it as a memento or toss it in the trash. All awards are based off gun time. If you are doing the run and the bike, you will get a separate bib and chip for each event.
• 5K actual distance is 5K
• 10K route actual distance is 10K
• Trail Experts – Three laps (18 miles)
• Weekend Warriors – Two laps (10 miles)
• Newbies – One lap (6 miles)
• Young Warriors – Half lap (3.1 miles)
• Course maps can be found here.
You will be racing the course clockwise
There will be water and Gatorade on the course.
For the Spring Thaw 5K and 10K, you will need a pair of running shoes and your normal running attire.
For the Young Warrior, Newbie, Weekend Warrior, and Trail Expert Mountain Bikes Races you’ll need a bike and a helmet (CPSC, ANSI, or SNELL certified). A water bottle or CamelBak-type device is highly recommended.
Food and Fun
We’ll have Old Busthead Brewery on tap again for post-race refreshment. The first beer is free and each additional beer is $1.00. Haymarket Bikes will be the on-site bike tech, and Appalachian Outdoor Readiness & Essentials and Dr. Eric Saxton Chiropractic & Rehab will be on hand! And Haymarket Bikes will be on site race day for last-minute tune ups and bike assistance.
If you are bringing friends and family and they would like to help in any way, we would love to put them to work. We are always looking for people to help marshal the course and run aid stations. Volunteers are very much appreciated by all—organizers and racers alike. To show our gratitude, Rev3 Adventure will give all volunteers an event T-shirt and a $20 code toward any of our other races in 2015. Volunteers can sign up here. Staff and racers will be super grateful!
Thanks again for choosing Rev3 Adventure. We look forward to seeing you on race day.